Champaign-Urbana Public Health District

Public Health Departments are required to investigate communicable (infectious) diseases such as whooping cough, tuberculosis, hepatitis and foodborne or waterborne illnesses. Our Communicable Disease Investigator works with the state health department and local health care providers to identify, investigate, and try to control disease outbreaks in our community.

Any person having knowledge of a known or suspected communicable disease is required to report the information to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health Department. Get a list of reportable diseases in Illinois.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a case of Foodborne Illness to Public Health?

Complete this online form or call the Communicable Disease Investigator at (217) 531-2932(217) 531-2932.

What do I do about Animal Bites?

Rabies is a preventable viral disease of mammals most often transmitted through the bite of a rabid animal. The vast majority of rabies cases reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) each year occur in wild animals like raccoons, skunks, bats, and foxes. Seek medical care for any animal bite. Was there an exposure? See our rabies exposure algorithm. Get more information about rabies.

Illinois Rabies Surveillance Map Archive

What do I do about head or body lice?

Head lice infest the head and neck and attach their eggs to the base of the hair shaft. Lice move by crawling; they cannot hop or fly. Head lice is spread most commonly by close person-to-person contact. Both over-the-counter and prescription medications are available for treatment of head lice infestations. More information about lice.

What should I do if I have bed bugs?

Bed bugs, a problem worldwide, are resurging, causing property loss, expense, and inconvenience. The good news is that bed bugs do not transmit disease. The best way to prevent bed bugs is regular inspection for signs of an infestation. More information about bed bugs.

CUPHD offers bed bug identification. If you are unsure if what you are seeing is a bed bug, you may bring one in for examination. Please call (217) 531-2932(217) 531-2932 if you are interested in bringing a bug for identification.

For renters (to see if the landlord is violating any city codes):
City of Champaign - Building Safety and Code: 403-6100
City of Urbana - Building Safety and Code: 384-2443
Village of Rantoul - 893-1661
Renters with general complaints, including bedbugs, can also file a complaint with the Tenant Union: 352-6220
Renters with problem landlords (for various problems, not just bedbugs) can check the Illinois Attorney General's website for a document called: Landlord & Tenant Rights and Laws.

Communicable disease morbidity rates in Champaign County by year

Communicable diseases for professionals

Stop and Report Poster
Click to download