As part of our Illinois Tobacco Free Communities grant from the Illinois Department of Public Health, CUPHD leads the Tobacco Prevention Coalition which includes the regions of Champaign-Urbana, Champaign County, and Douglas County. The coalition shares tobacco-related information and coordinates local prevention efforts in collaboration with community members and organizations. The coalition also works to provide anti-tobacco messages, to reduce access and appeal to youth, and to increase community awareness of the dangers of tobacco. Most recently, the coalition has joined forced to discuss strategies on educating the public of the dangers of electronic cigarettes, specifically for youth and young adults. Below are organizations that currently have a representative(s) on the coalition:
- Center for Prevention Research & Development
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Parkland College
- Carle Foundation Hospital
- Champaign Police Department
- Douglas County Health Department
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
- Champaign Park District
- Iroquois County Health Department
- Ford County Health Department
If you are interested in being a part of the Tobacco Prevention Coalition, please contact Kami at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goals & Activities
Below are the Illinois Tobacco Free Communities grant enhancement activities that C-UPHD will be working on during fiscal year 2022. C-UPHD will work with coalition members to fulfill these goals.
- Restricting use of e-cigarettes/vaping devices in public places and places of employment where smoking combustible tobacco products is prohibited.
- Implementing an approved youth tobacco prevention or cessation curriculum in schools or youth serving community organization and strengthening local school tobacco use code, including e-cigarettes/vaping devices.
- Convening a REALITY IL youth engagement program utilizing the Engaging Youth for Positive Change (EYPC) curriculum to train and integrate youth as actively engaged participants in tobacco control policy development and advocacy.
Other C-UPHD Tobacco-Related Activities:
Coordinate the tobacco vendor compliance check program
Smoke-Free Illinois Act education and enforcement
Facilitate REALITY Illinois, an anti-tobacco leadership program by teens for teens, with a group of seniors at Centennial High School for one semester during the school year.
Assist all coalition partners with projects, outreach, prevention education, and media campaigns.
News & Local Announcements
Webinar on Juuls from the Public Health Law Center: What's the Hype? JUUL Electronic Cigarette's Popularity with Youth and Young Adults
Illinois E-Cigarette Regulations
State Funding for Tobacco Prevention
FDA Plans to Ban Menthol in Cigarettes and All Flavors in Cigars
FDA Authorizes First Legal Sale of E-Cigarette Product