The Tobacco Prevention Coalition (TPC) strives to work in collaboration with local community members and organizations to act as a resource for Champaign-Urbana, Champaign County, and Douglas County. The coalition works to provide anti-tobacco messages, to reduce access and appeal to youth, and to increase community awareness of the dangers of tobacco. Below are current organizations that are members of the coalition:
- Center for Prevention Research & Development
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Parkland College
- American Cancer Society
- Douglas County Health Department
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
If you are interested in being a part of the Tobacco Prevention Coalition, please contact Alyx McElfresh at Phone: (217) 531-2912(217) 531-2912 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goals & Activities
Below are the Illinois Tobacco Free Communities grant enhancement activities that C-UPHD will be working on during fiscal year 2019. C-UPHD will work with coalition members to fulfill these goals.
- IL Tobacco 21 - By June 2019, increase the number of tobacco 21 ordinances in Champaign-Urbana and Champaign County from 0 to 1.
- Policies on e-cigarette use in public spaces - By June 2019, increase the number of e-cigarette ordinances from 0 to 1 in Champaign County and increase the number of Champaign-Urbana businesses who have e-cigarette-free policies from 145 in FY18 to 150 in FY19.
- Strengthening school tobacco codes - By June 2019, assist interested Champaign-Urbana and Champaign County schools in adding to or improving measures that strengthen their tobacco use codes.
Other C-UPHD Tobacco-Related Activities:
- Coordinate the “NOT HERE” tobacco vendor compliance check program
- Smoke-Free Illinois Act education and enforcement
- Facilitate REALITY Illinois, an anti-tobacco leadership program by teens for teens, with a group of seniors at Centennial High School for one semester during the school year.
- Assist all coalition partners with projects, outreach, prevention education, and media campaigns.
TPC Meeting Minutes
News & Local Announcements
UIUC Tobacco & Smoke-Free Announcement
IL Tobacco 21 Vetoed
Webinar on Juuls from the Public Health Law Center: What's the Hype? JUUL Electronic Cigarette's Popularity with Youth and Young Adults
Illinois E-Cigarette Regulations