Champaign-Urbana Public Health District

Filing a Food Establishment Sanitation Complaint

Photo of mold in cabinet

Sanitation Complaints

* If you became sick, fill out our foodborne illness complaint form.

We investigate food establishment complaints for facilities located within Champaign County, Illinois. To lodge a food establishment complaint, we need the following information:

Provide the name of the facility, street address, city, and the date and time of your visit. Location of the facility is important because some restaurant chains have more than one establishment in our area. Did you talk to someone at the facility regarding your complaint? If yes, please identify that person, e.g., Garry, the night manager or Sue, the hostess, etc.

The method in which you file your complaint directs the manner of its investigation.

  • A suspected food-related illness or injury must be immediately directed to our Communicable Disease division by calling (217) 531-5360 (217) 531-5360 during normal business hours. During after-hours, weekends or holidays, please call our answering service at (217) 531-3386 (217) 531-3386.
  • An anonymous complaint will be investigated during the next routine operational inspection of the facility. Depending on the timing of your visit and subsequent complaint, it may be up to several months before an anonymous complaint will be investigated.
  • A formal complaint is made when you supply your name, address and phone number along with the complaint. This information is for our records, is confidential and is NOT released to anyone, unless you indicate that you want it to be released. If you do not specify one way or the other, your information will automatically be kept confidential.
  • Formal complaints regarding situations that may be hazardous to the public's health and safety are investigated as soon as possible, and routinely less than 24 hours after receipt. Formal complaints that deal with items that are not generally regarded as immediately hazardous to the public's health and safety will be investigated within ten working days.

You may call the Environmental Health Division at (217) 373-7900 (217) 373-7900 or (217) 363-3269(217) 363-3269.


You may fill out an online complaint form.
To continue to the online complaint form please click here: I understand